Breaking News
More () »

2 Dallas police officers expected to survive after being shot, sources say

Police Chief Eddie Garcia said firefighters helped provide cover for the two officers after they were shot. Both officers are expected to survive.

DALLAS — This story will be updated throughout the day as new information is released.

Two officers with the Dallas Police Department were transported to the hospital after they were shot Thursday morning, Chief Eddie Garcia said. 

Police sources confirmed that the two officers were shot in the legs and both are expected to survive.  

Garcia said the officers were responding to a shooting call around 11 a.m at the 5300 block of Bonita Avenue when the officers were fired upon by a male suspect. 

Both officers were struck by gunfire. Other officers and members of Dallas Fire-Rescue were able to extract the officers from the scene.

At about 1:27 p.m., the SWAT team was able to get into the home where they found a man and woman dead inside. The man is believed to have opened fire on the officers.

Their names have not been released at this time.

There were no shots fired by officers anytime during this incident. This remains an active ongoing investigation.

During a news conference outside the hospital, Garcia thanked Dallas firefighters who provided cover after the officers were shot. 

"I would be remiss if I did not point out the amazing work of our fire department who actually provided cover for our police officers to extract, our wounded officers out of the scene," Garcia said. "I can't thank them enough for that."  

At the end of the news conference, Garcia asked the community for their prayers. 

"Just continue to pray for our officers that are wounded and for the men and women of this police department who continue to show up every day, regardless of the threats that they may encounter," he said.

Thursday's incident was the second time in less than a week in which DPD officers were injured in the line of duty. On Saturday, Officer Mitchell Penton was struck by a suspected drunken driver while he was assisting with a separate crash.

Penton was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. He was 27 years old.

Police departments react to Thursday's shooting

This is a developing story. Download our free WFAA app to stay up-to-date on all news stories in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Reporters Ariel Plasencia and Demond Fernandez contributed to this report. 


Before You Leave, Check This Out