SAN ANTONIO — North Texas has a handful of teams fighting to win a state championship at the Alamodome in San Antonio.
Throughout the six classifications of Texas high school basketball, there were seven teams in the WFAA viewing area that advanced to the UIL state semifinal round.
Here is a breakdown of the schedule (North Texas teams in bold):
- Semifinals: Graford vs. Benjamin on March 9: Graford wins, 66-42.
- 1A state championship: Graford vs. Jayton on March 11:
- Graford wins state, 49-44 (OT).
Graford has won back-to-back state championships.
- Semifinals: Lipan vs. New Home on March 10: Lipan wins, 52-44
- 2A state championship game: Lipan vs. La Rue La Poynor – March 11 at 1:30 p.m.
- Lipan wins state, 50-46.
*Note: Lipan's girls basketball team won the state championship this year.*
Lipan is the first Texas school in 16 years to win boys and girls basketball state titles in the same season.
- Semifinals: Oak Cliff Faith Family Academy vs. Canyon Randall on March 10: Oak Cliff Faith Family Academy wins, 67-47.
- 4A state championship: Oak Cliff Faith Family Academyvs. Houston Washington – March 11 at 7 p.m.
- Oak Cliff Faith Family Academy wins state, 70-56.
- Semifinals: Justin F. Kimball vs. SA Veterans Memorial on March 9: Justin F. Kimball wins, 50-47.
- Semifinals: Mansfield Summit vs. Killeen Ellison on March 9: Killeen Ellison wins, 52-50
- 5A state championship: Justin F. Kimball vs. Killeen Ellison – March 11 3 p.m.
- Justin F. Kimball wins state, 69-48.
*Kimball has its seventh state championship — the most in Dallas ISD history, and the second most in state history.*
- Semifinals: DeSoto vs. Lake Highlands on March 10: Lake Highlands wins, 52-44.
- 6A state championship: Lake Highlandsvs. Beaumont United – March 11 at 8:30 p.m.
- Lake Highlands wins state, 55-44.
More Texas headlines: