DALLAS — Dallas Fire-Rescue says the area of Elm Street and St. Paul and Northbound Ervay at Main Street has reopened after crews repaired a gas line Tuesday afternoon.
According to Dallas Fire-Rescue, the hazmat unit was called around 12:15 p.m. Tuesday to the 1700 block of Elm Street, after a construction crew struck a 4-inch natural gas line.
Officials said when DFR units arrived at the scene, the Press Box Grill located at 1623 Main Street had self-evacuated after people inside noticed the smell of gas inside. Crews checked other buildings but confirmed the Press Box Grill was the only one impacted.
Hazmat technicians then taped off the area and requested Dallas police to block streets at Elm Street and St. Paul and Northbound Ervay at Main Street.
Dallas police tweeted around 1 p.m. that repairs were expected to take several hours. Atmos Energy was at the scene working to get the situation resolved.
But Dallas Fire-Rescue said the technicians from Atmos were able to address the leak, and the streets were reopened around 3:40 p.m.
Anyone who smells gas is encouraged to call 911 so that Dallas Fire-Rescue can investigate it.
Download our free WFAA app to stay up-to-date on all news stories in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.