Breaking News
More () »

12 hospitalized for apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at Irving home, officials say

According to the fire department, the carbon monoxide poisoning came from a gas-powered generator in the garage.

IRVING, Texas — Twelve people were hospitalized after suffering from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday at a home in Irving, officials said.

The Irving Fire Department said they responded to a medical emergency in the 3500 block of Briarcliff Court North around 6 a.m.

When they got there, they found 12 people who were showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. First responders called for more help, and everyone in the house was taken to a hospital to get checked out.

"They felt dizzy, nauseous , they felt headache," said Johnny Mosquera, a family friend.

Officials said the victims were in stable condition, but more information was not released.

According to the fire department, the carbon monoxide came from a gas powered generator that was running in the garage of the home.

"It will seep through. It’s odorless. Unfortunately it’s odorless. You won’t even know it’s in your house," said Anthony Kennedy, of the Irving Fire Department.

The family told WFAA they just moved in this weekend, and they were waiting for the power to turn on.

The youngest of the family members is 9-month-old and 1-year-old boy.

"They were under a mask to help them breathe," said Mosquera.

Officials want to remind everyone to make sure they have a working carbon monoxide detector and that you change the batteries every 6 months.

"We urge the public to only use generators at least 20 feet away from your home with the [exhaust] pointed away," a fire official told WFAA.

Mosquera said the family members remain hospitalized and that they’re expected to recover.

Other local news:

Before You Leave, Check This Out