The Department of Defense has reached a deal to buy 478 F-35s from Lockheed Martin, a group of aircraft valued at $34 billion, according to a statement from Congresswoman Kay Granger's (TX-12) office.
The F-35 jet is made by Lockheed Martin and built in Fort Worth.
Granger praised the deal in a statement.
“The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which is built in the heart of my district, is the world’s most capable and lethal aircraft," she wrote. "This landmark deal is a huge win for Fort Worth and the hardworking men and women of our workforce. I applaud the Defense Department and Lockheed Martin for their efforts to ensure our outstanding military – and our allies like Israel – have the best equipment possible to carry out their vital mission.”
More on WFAA:
- Local nonprofit helps repair homes for those who can't
- Trump tweets photo of dog wounded in raid on Islamic State leader
- US official: Islamic State leader believed dead in US military assault
- North Korea says it's running out of patience with US over nuclear diplomacy
- Raising money for our heroes: Dallas man will walk 100 miles in 36-hours