Breaking News
More () »

Dallas ISD officials change security procedures after shooting at high school basketball game

During a news conference, officials said bags or backpacks will not be allowed in games and they will use wands to check people going into arenas and facilities.

Updated at 11:20 a.m. with details from district officials.

Officials with the Dallas Independent School District said on Monday they would be changing some security measures following a shooting that took place over the weekend during a basketball game between South Oak Cliff and Kimball High Schools. 

The incident began as a fist fight, Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa said during the news conference

A Dallas ISD police official said the gunshots rang out as officers at Ellis Davis Field House were responding to the fight and in the process of escorting out the individuals involved. He said they were able to respond so quickly because of additional officers they had near the concessions area in the field house. 

Nine officers total were at the game, he said. 

Because of the violence, Hinojosa said the district will now immediately have new security measures in place at all sporting events. 

No bags, purses or backpacks will be allowed in any game arenas as of Tuesday, he said. 

Security teams will also use wands to check people going into arenas and facilities. 

In the future, Hinojosa says the district is going to work on getting more weapons detections devices and develop a task force to work on addressing the violence. They also plan to "harden" facilities to prevent events like this from happening again.

An 18-year-old boy was shot in the chest during the shooting Saturday night. A DISD officer was also grazed by a bullet fragment.

A 15-year-old boy was arrested in connection to the shooting after turning himself in.

RELATED: Teen shoots other teen in chest during high school basketball game, police say

The 18-year-old who was shot had been a former Dallas ISD student who had transferred to a charter school, Hinjosa said. The 15-year-old is a current Dallas ISD student, though Hinojosa did not specify what school he attends. 

Around 650 people were in the arena at the time of the shooting, according to the superintendent.

"It happened on our watch, on our property," he said. 

He visually appeared to be moved by the shooting, discussing how violence on school property or at school events has reached a new level. 

"What's really disappointing to me is that the public schools, in my personal history [of being a student, teacher and superintendent in the district for decades], there was kind of this truce," he said. "The truce is that those activities happen off-campus. Well, that truce is now over because it now spilled over onto our campus, which makes this even much more difficult."

Dallas police officials clarified the shooting did not appear to be related to gang violence, though Hinojosa did say the district needed to work more on gang intervention.

A WFAA photographer was inside the game during the shooting and caught the scene on video. The shooting happened late in the third quarter of the game. 

In the video, four gunshots can be heard as attendees and players scramble for cover. Multiple police officers can then be seen running around the upper part of the stadium.

RELATED: Dallas community outraged after shooting at high school basketball game

The shooting took place just hours after the new South Oak Cliff High School was opened.

"South Oak Cliff celebrated the ribbon-cutting ceremony of going back into their newly renovated building and this was the culminating event, and to end the day like this is heartbreaking,” district spokesperson Robyn Harris said.

Hinjosoa echoed those sentiments during the news conference.

"It was an emotional rollercoaster," he said. 

Before You Leave, Check This Out