Breaking News
More () »

Man shot, killed by police at Irving hospital was ER patient with a gun, officials said, motive still unclear

One person has been killed by police at an Irving hospital, the department said in a tweet.

IRVING, Texas — Police killed one person at an Irving hospital, the department said Wednesday.

The shooting happened at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Irving located at 1901 North MacArthur Boulevard. 

The department tweeted about the incident just before 9 p.m.

During a press conference Wednesday evening, Irving Police said the person was a patient in the emergency room at the hospital and had a handgun. 

Police identified the suspect Thursday as 34-year-old Michael McPhail.

Irving Police said McPhail had arrived at the hospital at 7 p.m. Wednesday for medical reasons and was waiting in the emergency room. 

A hospital staff member said McPhail began to exhibit "unusual behavior" and saw he had a gun in his possession. Staff asked a police officer to investigate. The officer was at the hospital for an unrelated incident. 

"His behavior was just alarming," said Irving PD officer Robert Reeves.

When officers were talking to McPhail, police said he fired a shot in the room. Irving PD said officers tried to talk McPhail into dropping the gun, but then he pointed it at officers and fired at them.  

McPhail was shot by officers and died at the scene. 

Three officers have been placed on leave. 

"We appreciate the swift response of the Irving Police Department, who are still on site this evening. Patient care is continuing normally," said the hospital in a statement. 

Police say McPhail does have a criminal record, but not with the Irving Police Department. As for a motive for bringing a gun into the hospital and why he fired at officers, police say they are still trying to figure that out.

"Body worn camera is being reviewed," Officer Robert Reeves told WFAA at a Thursday afternoon news conference. "The investigators are working the case. So those specifics we're not going to get into releasing at this time."

Metal detectors or searches are not part of the routine for someone entering this hospital. That is certainly not unusual. But the staff member who alerted police in the first place is being praised for seeing something suspicious and calling immediately for help.

"It was his behavior with the possession of that firearm that caused her concern," Reeves said. "And that's why she called the police department."

The incident remains under investigation. 

This is a developing story, check back for updates. 

Before You Leave, Check This Out