CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — AEP Texas crews have started to respond to customer outages across the Coastal Bend area associated with Hurricane Hanna.
Hurricane Hanna, which is expected to make landfall within the AEP Texas service territory Saturday afternoon, has already caused numerous outages across the region.
Additional crews and resources are currently traveling to the area to assist with post-storm outage restoration, according to officials.
AEP Texas has provided some tips in the event you or someone you know experiences an outage:
- AEP Texas crews will soon be called to shelter-in-place until the storm passes. Once wind gusts are below 35 miles-per-hour, crews can safely operate a utility bucket.
- All AEP Texas crews and mutual assistance personnel traveling to the area to assist in restoration are following strict COVID-19 safety guidelines, which include wearing a mask and practicing physical and social distancing.
- Customers should not approach crews for any reason, especially due to enhanced COVID-19 safety guidelines.
- All power lines should be considered energized and dangerous. Do not touch anything in contact with the line, such as trees, fences, or standing water. Please keep children and pets inside during and after the storm.
- Customers should call the AEP Customer Solutions Center only to report downed power lines or safety hazards.
- Call (866) 223-8508 to report a fallen power line or utility pole.
Additional Tips in the Event of an Outage:
- Unplug major appliances and electronic equipment like televisions, VCRs, and computers and turn them on one at a time when power is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to keep cold air inside.
- Residents can track progress on the restoration effort by visiting the outage area at www.aeptexas.com. There is a real-time map featuring the most current available information.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Kleberg County Judge calls for voluntary evacuation of 4 areas, orders closure of County Gulf Beaches
- Tropical Storm Hanna continues to strengthen, landfall expected to be near Baffin Bay early Saturday afternoon | UPDATE: July 24, 10AM
- CHRISTUS Spohn Health System prepares for Tropical Storm Hanna
- CCRTA cancels bus routes Saturday due to Tropical Storm Hanna