Update: Virginia police have cleared Lucky Whitehead in the June 22 petty larceny case.

Original story: Just hours after news surfaced about Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Lucky Whitehead's June arrest for shoplifting, he has been cut from the team, WFAA Sports' Joe Trahan confirmed.

Whitehead was arrested for shoplifting and petit larceny on June 22 in Manassas, Va., Prince William County arrest records show. He was arrested at the scene of the alleged theft.

A warrant is now out for his arrest after he missed a July 6 court date.

"We evaluate the particular situation, how it was handled by the player," said head coach Jason Garrett. "After the incident we evaluate the body of work."

"When you have someone in your program in this environment, in this structure, and they don’t grow and develop and they make the same mistakes over and over again it’s time to move on."

Monday was the first day of practice for the Cowboys in Oxnard, Calif., where they're holding training camp. The 25-year-old wide receiver told reporters after a morning walkthrough that he wasn't aware of the warrant out for his arrest.

Whitehead also told 105.3 The Fan that he was in Dallas the day of the alleged incident, and that "it wasn't me."

WFAA Sports learned around 3:30 p.m. that Whitehead was informed he had been cut. The team announced the transaction shortly thereafter.

Whitehead would have had to step away from the team during training camp for a Virginia court date Aug. 10. The Cowboys are in Oxnard until Aug. 18.

"We’re going to miss him a lot," fellow wideout Dez Bryant said. "At the same time, you’ve got to respect what Coach Garrett is trying to build and we respect that, and you can’t go against his demands."

Whitehead figured to have his work cut out for him this fall independent of legal troubles. Rookie Ryan Switzer, who the Cowboys took in the fourth round of this year's draft, will likely be auditioning for the snaps Whitehead would have gotten.

Last week, Whitehead made headlines after saying on social media that his dog was taken for ransom money. He and his dog were returned a day later after a bizarre string of events involving a Fort Worth rapper.