ARLINGTON — Early Sunday evening, Arlington Water Utilities crews were repairing a water line leak at the intersection of Ditto Avenue and Dugan Street in central Arlington.

As the workers cleared asphalt to begin excavation, an Atmos gas line was damaged.

The crews stopped their work immediately and called Atmos Energy and the Arlington Fire Department to assist.

As excess water was being pumped out so repairs on the gas line could start, gas from the line ignited.

The fire injured one Arlington water worker and two Arlington firefighters.

They have been transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

One firefighter and the water department employee have since been released from the hospital.

The Arlington Fire Department remained on scene Sunday evening controlling the active fire while Atmos worked to fix the gas leak.

Power and water were shut off in the immediate area until repairs can be completed.