Member of the Texas House on Wednesday passed a memorial resolution in honor of the Dallas girl who was killed in a home explosion last year.
Rep. Rafael Anchia, D-Dallas, introduced House Resolution 621, and the House passed it unanimously.
Linda "Michellita" Rogers, 12, died Feb. 23, 2018, when in a gas-leak explosion at her home in northwest Dallas.
The resolution read passed on Wednesday read, in part, that Rogers "brightened countless lives with her generous nature, her boundless warmth, and her exuberant smile, and she will forever hold a treasured place in the hearts of all those who were fortunate enough to know her."
Rogers' family – her mother, father, brother, grandmother and aunt – joined Anchia on the House floor as he read the resolution.
Watch Anchia announce the resolution:
Anchia has filed a series of bills intended to strengthen the state's oversight of natural gas companies like Atmos, and make Atmos accelerate its replacement of aging cast iron, wrought iron and bare steel pipes in its sprawling system.
Earlier this month, Rogers' family authorized the release to WFAA of heartbreaking videos the young girl took just moments before the fatal explosion.
Her mother, Maria Rogers, agreed to speak to WFAA hoping to spur lawmakers to make changes to prevent anyone else from dying in an explosion.
“I don't want this to happen to another family,” Maria Rogers said.