The State Fair of Texas announced its semifinalists for the “Big Tex Choice Awards,” the fair’s annual food competition.
Judging will take place over the next several weeks and the eight finalists will be announced in mid-August.
The winners will be announced at the 12th Annual Big Tex Choice Awards event on Sunday, August 28 at a city-sponsored event in Fair Park.
The contest started with 55 entries earlier this month.
The 2015 Winners were "Fernie's Holy Moly Carrot Cake Roly" (best taste) and the Smoky Bacon Margarita (most creative).
The 2016 semi-finalists:
- Bacon Wrapped Churros
- Down Home Chicken Pot Pie Pocket (with mac 'n cheese dip)
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Belly on a Stick
- Fried Cookies & Cream Sundae
- Barn Yard Burger
- Fried Jell-O
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
- Fried Prime Rib Quesadill"O"
- Caribbean Pineapple Korn-a-Copia
- Funnel Cake Sundae
- Crunchy Fried Oinkers
- Holy Guacamole Balls
- Dallas' Fried Bacontilla
- Injectable Great Balls of BBQ
- Deep Fried Bacon Burger Dog Sliders on a Stick
- Loaded Bacon Mashed Potato Egg Roll
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Tater' Dog
- Lollipop Fried Bacon Wrapped Quail Breast on a Stick
- Deep Fried Cannoli Bites
- Pina-A lot-Ta
- Deep Fried Cheeseburger Stuffed Onion Rings
- Seductive Fried Sea Salt Caramel Wrap
- Deep Fried Chicken Basket
- Shrimp Fritters
- Deep Fried Hawaiian Hoops
- Southern Fried Chicken & Dumplin's
- Deep Fried Nachos
- State Fair Cookie Fries
- Deep Fried Pulled Pork "Funyun" Dings
- State Fair Edible Colas
- Deep Fried Smoked Salmon & Bacon Croquettes
- Texas Fried Buffalo Quail
- Dorito Bacon Fried Cheese Stick
- Texas Fried Pinatacolupa
More information, including a listing of past winners, can be found on the State Fair of Texas website.