DALLAS (AP) — Speakers at a funeral in Dallas for T. Boone Pickens included Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.
The service was held Thursday at Highland Park United Methodist Church.
The brash and quotable oil tycoon who grew even wealthier through corporate takeover attempts died Sept. 11 at the age of 91 at his Dallas home.
There will be a public memorial Sept. 25 in Stillwater, Oklahoma, at his alma mater, Oklahoma State University. Pickens donated hundreds of millions of dollars to OSU.
Abbott recalled that when Pickens was once asked if he was from Texas or Oklahoma, he replied: "Both." Abbott says, "Boone was too big to be confined to just one state."
A message Pickens wrote before his death recalling life lessons was posted online Wednesday.
Gallery: Photos of T. Boone Pickens over the years
More on WFAA:
- Oklahoma State honors T. Boone Pickens with uniform
- Texas family wants to thank T. Boone Pickens for hosting wedding in hospice care center
- Downtown Dallas YMCA building named for T. Boone Pickens to be sold
- T. Boone Pickens, self-made Texas tycoon, dead at 91
- 'A legendary Texas entrepreneur': Reactions to the death of T. Boone Pickens
- Shirley Boone, wife of Pat Boone and philanthropist, dies at 84