AUSTIN, Texas -- Draylen Mason was a talented musician. His friends posted videos of him on social media playing his bass.

Adelia Owens was in the Austin Youth Orchestra with him for four years. "He was very funny and very talented. Anytime I would have a bad day and go to rehearsal, he was always there to make me smile," said Owens.

Dray as his friends called him, was planning on going to the University of Texas Austin. But, Monday morning he died at his grandmother's home when a package bomb blew up.

"I was just in shock. You don't think something like this is going to happen to somebody who is like you to someone who is just really sweet," said Owens.

Austin police are investing three bombings and trying to find a connection between the victims. The first person killed was Anthony Stephan House on March 2.

"At about 6:50, I heard a loud boom. It sounded like what I describe as an empty trash dumpster getting hit by a truck," said his neighbor Sean Philips.

Philips ran to help him.

"He collapsed. I gave him two rescue breaths to get him breathing again and called 911," said Philips.

Sources have told ABC news the bombs that killed Draylen and House contained metal pieces like bolts and nails to generate shrapnel. The devices were set up to detonate by motion.

"These are not firecrackers. These are improvised explosive devices," said Austin Chief Brian Manley.

Police did not release the name of the third victim a 75-year-old Hispanic female. She has severe injuries.

The Austin Police Department is having to answer questions about how it handled the investigation from the beginning.

Two weeks ago when House died, the department told the public it was an isolated incident and there was no danger to the public.

"We did not know that time it was part of a bigger plot," said Chief Manley.

Now dozens of federal agents and explosive experts from across the country are in Austin and say they are not leaving until the figure who killed a young father and an aspiring musician.