DALLAS — Amazon Prime Day 2019 has been expanded to not one, but two days this year.
Amazon announced Prime Day 2018 was the “biggest global shopping event in Amazon history.” Last year, it was extended to 36 hours.
This year, Prime Day 2019 is July 15 and 16, a total of 48 hours of savings for Prime members only.
Texas has nine operating Amazon fulfillment centers throughout the state, including Coppell.
The approximately 1 million square-foot fulfillment center in Coppell opened in February 2018. This building supports same day shipping.
WFAA toured the Coppell facility Thursday. It includes more than 1,800 full-time employees and miles of conveyor belts.
Items that customers purchase are stored in yellow, vertical pods controlled by robotic driving units.
“This is part of the innovations in our business,” Amazon spokesperson Brenda Alfred said. “These robotic driving units are bringing these pods over to this workstation, so that the associate can pick the items, put it in one of our totes and then send it out so it can be packed.”
Cameras scan and weigh packages in an instant.
Conveyor belts sort packages out for delivery.
“That’s the magic that happens after the customer clicks buy,” Alfred said.
Prime Day has expanded to 18 countries offering members special discounts.
More WFAA Coverage:
- Amazon to train third of US workforce with technical skills
- Amazon offers to pay employees to quit, start delivery business
- Amazon Prime moving to free 1-day shipping instead of 2
- Amazon partners with Rite Aid for package pickup nationwide
- Amazon plans to add physical store in North Texas
- Amazon says drones will be making deliveries 'within months'