More than two dozen students and staff reported feeling ill after a Bunsen burner was left on in a science lab Wednesday afternoon at the Cedar Hill Collegiate High School & Academy.

Emergency crews were called to the school, located in the 1500 block of High Pointe Lane, after reports of a "noxious odor" in the air at about 1 p.m.

Of the more than two dozen who felt ill, eight were transported to a nearby hospital for further evaluation, said Chief John Ballard, Cedar Hill Fire Department. Everyone was determined to be OK.

Cedar Hill Collegiate High School and Academy

While the fire department said it was safe to return to the school, it had already been evacuated and closed for the remainder of the day.

The district plans to investigate how the burner was left on, said Jamie Brown, a spokesperson with the Cedar Hill Independent School District.