This story has been updated with the victim's name.
A man armed with two knives was killed Friday night in an officer-involved shooting, Garland police say.
Around 10:30 p.m. Garland police responded to a disturbance call at an apartment complex near the 200 block of East Interstate 30.
Investigators say a caller told police there was a man in the apartment parking lot who had two machetes.
According to the caller, the man was slashing tires and stabbing hoods of parked cars.
When police arrived, they found the man, 52-year-old Jason Xavier Salas, armed with two large knives. Officers say they told Salas to drop the knives but he didn’t listen.
That’s when officers say Salas went towards them with the knives in his hands. Two officers fired their weapons, striking Salas.
Salas, a Dallas resident, was taken to the hospital and was pronounced dead.
Both officers, a 13-year veteran and 3-year veteran were placed on administrative leave.
More on WFAA:
- Council member living in neighborhood where El Paso mass shooter grew up wants to stop gun shows at Allen Events Center
- Richardson teacher accused of child exploitation found dead on day he was to talk to police
- Boy, 10, dies after shooting at McKinney apartment complex
- Timeline of Dallas police Chief's return to work remains unknown
- HCSO deputy terminated following fatal shooting of unarmed man