SAN DIEGO — A second patient that was being treated for COVID-19 has been discharged, UC San Diego Health announced Monday.
At this time, there are no more patients with confirmed or possible cases of COVID-19 being cared for at UC San Diego Health.
“The last few weeks have presented numerous challenges,” said Patty Maysent, chief executive officer, UC San Diego Health.
“Our skills, strengths and stamina have been tested, and I am proud to say we met the challenges across the board, throughout our health care system and across our broader communities," she said.
Last Wednesday, another patient who was being kept in isolation at UC San Diego Health's Hillcrest location was discharged after recovering fully from novel coronavirus, according to hospital officials.
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention staff cleared the patient after rigorous testing to confirm recovery and lack of contagiousness.
UC San Diego Health reassured the public that they are prepared and ready to address future challenges, tapping into resources and expertise unmatched in San Diego County and beyond.
“With our partners in the federal and state government, as well as locally, we are doing everything possible to be prepared going forward,” said Maysent.
After two weeks under quarantine for novel coronavirus, 63 people were released Feb. 20 from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. They were among 65 passengers who were flown into San Diego Feb. 7 after evacuating Wuhan, China -- epicenter of the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19.
More than 200 people were quarantined at one time at the base, with 166 who initially arrived in San Diego Feb. 5 released last Tuesday.
The county Board of Supervisors last week unanimously reaffirmed and extended a local health emergency declaration in response to concerns about the coronavirus outbreak. Despite the declaration, however, county officials stressed that the risk of contracting the virus locally remains extremely low.
On Monday, China reported 508 new cases in an outbreak of a viral illness that has spread to the Middle East and Europe. Another 71 deaths were reported in the update, 68 of them in the city of Wuhan, where the epidemic has been concentrated.
The updates bring mainland China's totals to 77,658 cases and 2,663 deaths. South Korea reported 60 more cases of the new virus, bringing its total to 893. It now has the second-highest total behind China.