Calling for help just got a lot easier for residents of Lewisville and all of Denton County.
If residents were to find themselves in an emergency situation and are unable to speak or hear they can now send a text message to 911.
The City of Lewisville says making a voice call to 911 is always the best way to get help in an emergency, but should you find yourself in a situation where speaking could put you in more danger or have trouble hearing or speaking, sending a text could be the best option.
Important tips on texts to 911:
- Pictures and videos cannot be sent to 9-1-1, so only use text
- Keep your messages brief and to the point
- Avoid using slang or abbreviations
- The 9-1-1 personnel will ask questions and give instructions; do not leave the conversation until instructed to by 9-1-1 personnel
- When traveling outside of the Denco Area 9-1-1 district jurisdiction, text to 9-1-1 is not available universally. In the event you attempt to text 9-1-1 from an area where it is not available, you will receive an automated message from the wireless phone provider indicating that a voice call must be placed to 9-1-1