Two teenagers are accused of carjacking a ride-hailing service driver in University Park.
Around 6:45 a.m. Thursday, one of the teens approached a driver parked near Caruth Park in the 7800 block of Hillcrest Avenue. The teen asked to use the driver's phone, police said.
When the driver said no, the teen pointed a gun at him and told him to get out of the car. The teen got in the car and drove off, and the second teen followed in a Lexus SUV, University Park police said.
The ride-hail driver called 911, and Dallas police connected the caller to University Park police. Both departments worked together to find the teenage suspects.
John Adrian Garcia, 18, and a juvenile were arrested, University Park police said.
Garcia faces an unauthorized use of a vehicle charge, a possession of marijuana charge and two charges of aggravated robbery. He remains in the Dallas County jail in lieu of $26,000 bail. The juvenile suspect was taken to the Henry Wade Juvenile Justice Center.
Police said investigators found the ride-hail service vehicle and the Lexus. The driver's cell phone was also found, police said.
WFAA ride-hailing coverage:
- Uber's new flying taxis planned for North Texas in 2023
- Uber Copter will take you from Manhattan to JFK by helicopter
- For these two women, ride-hailing service Alto is a lifesaver
- Uber eyes Dallas as location for company's new offices
- Uber, Lyft pickup zones start in Deep Ellum. Will they work?
- One simple question can keep you safe when ordering Uber or Lyft