Breaking News
More () »

3 suspects wanted in connection to 19-year-old’s murder outside Arlington motel found hiding in drainage ditch, police say

Detectives believe the suspect shot 19-year-old Mareon Robertson Tuesday night after he got out of a vehicle.
Credit: WFAA

ARLINGTON, Texas — Three people have been arrested in connection to the death of a 19-year-old who was shot outside of a motel in Arlington, officials said. 

The Arlington Police Department said an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Toby Garcia for the murder of Mareon Robertson. 

According to the Arlington Police Department, officers were sent to the InTown Suites on South Cooper Street near Sublett Road around 6 p.m. Tuesday.

On the way there, 911 dispatchers got a call from a couple saying they picked up a 19-year-old who was shot outside that motel. Paramedics caught up with them and took the victim to a hospital, but police said he died from his injuries.

On Wednesday, May 18, Arlington Police received a tip that Garcia was spotted near W. Randol Mil Road and Fielder Road, prompting a large police presence and the lockout at three Arlington elementary schools.  

RELATED: 3 Arlington elementary schools placed on lockout during search for homicide suspects

After setting up a perimeter, Arlington police officers found Garcia and two others, 17-year-old Joseph Garcia and 45-year-old James Capps, hiding in a drainage ditch.

All three were taken into custody without incident, police said. 

Based on their investigation, Arlington detectives said Joseph Garcia and Capps were inside a car the victim, Robertson, got into just before the shooting outside the motel Tuesday evening. Detectives said Toby Garcia’s intention was to rob Robertson, and when Robertson exited the car, Toby Garcia approached him holding a gun and shot Robertson as he tried to get away. 

Toby Garcia was been booked into the Arlington City Jail on the first degree murder warrant, and was also charged with one count of evading, police said.

Joseph Garch and Capps were each booked into the Arlington City Jail on capital murder and evading charges, police said.

“Getting these suspects into custody took a tremendous team effort,” Chief of Police Al Jones said in a release. “Our homicide, fugitive, SWAT, gang, violent crime, and aviation units, along with our community action team and patrol officers all worked together seamlessly on this case to identify these suspects and get them off the streets.” 

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out