What was supposed to be a protest for peace was interrupted Thursday night with deadly gunfire that left five officers dead.

Early Thursday evening, protesters gathered to speak out and march after videos emerged this week of two officer-involved shootings that led to the deaths of Alton Sterling, 37, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile, 32, in Falcon Heights, Minnesota.

The night began with protesters gathering at a downtown Dallas park and then marching through the streets. It ended abruptly when shots were fired, striking 12 officers and two civilians. Five of those officers were killed.

This is how the night developed:

7p: Crowd of protesters gather to demand change in the wake of two-officer involved shootings. The protest began at 7 p.m. at the Belo Garden Park off Main Street in downtown Dallas.

7:16p: The protest begins peacefully with people chanting "enough is enough." Dallas police post video of the crowd:

8p Nearby El Centro College placed on lockdown as precaution prior to shooting.

8:11p An hour into the protest, things remain peaceful. Dallas police post an image of Sen. Royce West holding hands with Major Lonzo Anderson:

8:23p Police post video as a mass of people marches eastbound on Commerce Street through downtown.

8:45p Dallas police post their last video of protesters at 8:45 p.m.

8:59p Just before 9 p.m., police report shots fired.

9:05p Video captures gunshots ringing out. Officers yell "active shooter" around area of San Jacinto and Griffin streets.

9:35p Police warn people to stay away from downtown as they search for suspects. At least one officer reported down.

9:40p Two officers reported down.

9:41p Police clear out the Bank of America building, the tallest skyscraper in Dallas.

10:23p DART police reports four officers shot, including one dead. The deceased officer was later identified as Ofc. Brent Thompson, 43. The update brought the total number of officers shot to six.

10:29p Chief David Brown reports 10 officers were shot by two snipers. He says three of those officers have died.

10:44p Dallas police and ATF officers expand their perimeter as their search for the suspects continue.

10:52p Dallas police release image of a person they call a suspect on their Twitter page. Chief David Brown also tweets about the man, calling him a person of interest, not a suspect. The man is later identified as Mark Hughes, whose brother recorded video declaring his brother's innocence. He's later released by police.

10:53p Authorities raise number of officers shot to 11.

11:10p Shots fired in El Centro parking garage in downtown Dallas; SWAT team corners suspect

11:13p Dallas police announce fourth officer dies.

11:27p Police say that they've taken a female suspect into custody after a shootout at the El Centro College. Second suspect still at scene.

11:36p Family identifies one of the wounded DART officers as Misty McBride. She suffered a non-fatal wound to the shoulder.

11:46p Police converge onto the Ann Arbor exit off I-35 near downtown Dallas.

11:47p Police departments across the nation, including Houston and Seattle, report they've begun pairing up officers as a precaution.

11:55p Police announce the large police presence on I-35 was in connection to a suspicious incident in which police say they followed a vehicle:

12:16a Driver involved in I-35 incident says he picked his brother up from the downtown bus station and then was chased by Dallas police. He says the suspicious bag was his brother's luggage. Both men are released to go home.

12:34a Dallas police say they're continuing negotiations with suspect at parking garage.

12:37a Police put officers at nearby 7-Eleven, where there's reports of thefts:

1:15a Students and staff still inside El Centro College as it remains in lockdown as standoff continues nearby.

1:35a A police flash bang goes off at scene of standoff.

1:47a Fifth officer reported dead.

2:05a Officers line up outside 7-Eleven to stop looting

2:09a Lockdown lifted at El Centro College.

3a DART confirms the name of its officer killed: Brent Johnson, 43.

3:05a Dallas police honor fallen officers at Dallas hospital.

3:06a Suspect confirmed dead after standoff with police in garage. Chief David Brown later said the suspect, identified as Micah Xavier Johnson, was killed in an explosion. "The death of a suspect in the Dallas police shootings marks the first time U.S. police officers have used a robot to kill someone, according to Texas and national experts," wrote The Texas Tribune.


In the end, authorities confirmed 12 officers and two civilians were shot. Five of those officers died from their wounds. While authorities didn't give an update on the woman taken into custody, Johnson was named the sole suspect in the deadly attack.

A fund to assist the families of the killed officers has been set up. Go here to donate.