Breaking News
More () »

2 dead after man accused of a stabbing rammed car into storefront, hit woman at bus stop, police say

It all started around 11:45 Wednesday morning in the 8600 block of Las Vegas Trail, when Fort Worth police responded to a stabbing call.

FORT WORTH, Texas — A man was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly stabbed someone, rammed into a man inside a business and killed him, and then drove off and hit and killed a woman during a police chase, Fort Worth police said.

It all started around 11:45 Wednesday morning in the 8600 block of Las Vegas Trail, when Fort Worth police responded to a stabbing call where they found a man with "severe lacerations" to his face and neck. Police said the suspect, 38-year-old Chassity Lavell Brooks, stole the victim's truck and drove off.

About an hour after the stabbing, police said the driver rammed the stolen truck into Taz, a game room in the 8700 block of Camp Bowie West Boulevard, and then repeatedly drove back and forth before driving off. Police said a man inside was pinned between the truck and a back wall. He was taken to the hospital, but later died. 

Jerron Mcafee, who was working at the business, described the chaos.

“I was talking to somebody. I just happened to turn around," Mcafee said. “I crawled to the bar, jumped over and ran straight away.”

Manager Kimberlee Atkison was running late to work when it happened. She said the man killed was a good friend to employees. 

“I’m shocked. I’m in shock. This is a big tragedy," she said. “I guess that’s the biggest thing I’m struggling with is just understanding how someone could hurt innocent people you know.”

Police were in the parking lot at the time and chased after the suspect. They said the driver drove east toward Alta Mere Drive and hit another truck before leaving the road and crashed into a woman near a bus stop near Jiffy Lube. She later died at the hospital. 

That's where police said the man stole another truck, a white GMC pickup, and lead police on a 15-mile chase. During the pursuit, police said he crashed twice before getting a flat tire. The chase ended in Autumn Park. 

Police said even after the crash, the man kept trying to escape from his car, so SWAT was called in to respond. A standoff unfolded, and police used tear gas to get the man out of his car. Police then arrested the man. No officers were hurt.

Fort Worth police said detectives are still piecing together what led to Wednesday's events. Police said in a news conference that the conditions of the stabbing victim is unknown. It's also unclear whether the man and the stabbing victim knew each other. 

Brooks now faces possible charges of capital murder of multiple persons, according to police records.

This is a developing story. Download our free WFAA app to stay up-to-date on all news stories in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. 

Before You Leave, Check This Out