This week, we're making Lasagna Rolls. This recipe is a great freezer meal — make it now and bake it later.
Pioneer Woman Lasagna Rolls
- 20 whole lasagna noodles
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound italian sausage
- 28 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce canned tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 30 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 Tablespoon basil, minced
- 1 pound mozzarella, grated
- Boil lasagna noodles until al dente. Drain and lay flat on a sheet of foil.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the ground beef and sausage and stir it around, cooking it until totally browned.
- Drain excess fat, then add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, parsley, and basil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling by combining ricotta, eggs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, parsley, and basil. Stir to combine.
- To assemble, spoon a little sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan OR smaller disposable foil loaf pans.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons ricotta filling on each noodle, then roll them up. Lay them sideways in the pans (4 will fit in the loaf pans, or you can fill a 9 x 13 inch pan with the rollups).
- Top with remaining sauce, plenty of grated mozzarella, and grated Parmesan.
If cooking immediately, bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
If cooking from a frozen state, bake, covered in foil, at 350 for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes, or until lasagna is done. I recommend thawing out lasagna overnight, then baking as directed.