Next month is national watermelon month, so a Master Chef Joseph Poon showed how to carve up the summer time fruit into works of art.
Ten Facts you need to know about watermelon:
- Not only does it quench your thirst, it can also quench inflammation that contributes to conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and arthritis.
- Over 1,200 varieties of watermelon are grown worldwide.
- Watermelon is an ideal health food because it doesn’t contain any fat or cholesterol, is high in fiber and vitamins A & C and is a good source of potassium.
- Pink watermelon is also a source of the potent carotenoid antioxidant, lycopene. These powerful antioxidants travel through the body neutralizing free radicals.
- Watermelon is a vegetable! It is related to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash.
- Early explorers used watermelons as canteens.
- Watermelon is grown in over 96 countries worldwide.
- In China and Japan watermelon is a popular gift to bring a host.
- In Israel and Egypt, the sweet taste of watermelon is often paired with the salty taste of feta cheese.
- Every part of a watermelon is edible, even the seeds and rinds.