Some much-needed rain came down heavy and fast, making Sunday officially the wettest August day in 20 years at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, the area's official reporting station.

There were alerts of possible flash flooding in a wide area of North Texas, including Denton, Collin, Dallas and Tarrant counties.

Police in Irving responded to numerous high water calls between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. Sunday. Some intersections were blocked off due to flooding, which in most cases receded quickly.

But along Carolyn Parkway in Las Colinas, one driver found himself stuck.

'You can't tell when you come in on the blind side,' said Alfonso Zuniga. 'Right there at the corner at the curb, you can't see anything.'

His car stalled in high water outside the entrance to his apartment complex.

'Right here... I live right here!' Zuniga said, gesturing toward his building.

Soon, a friend arrived and they pushed the vehicle out of the calf-deep water. Minutes later, other vehicles plowed through the water with ease.

Heavy rain was measured at reporting locations across the region. Precipitation amounts for the 24-hour period ending at 2 p.m. Sunday included:

  • 4.38 - Avalon (Ellis County)
  • 3.50 - Mansfield
  • 3.22 - Dallas Love Field
  • 3.02 - Carrolton
  • 2.94 - Grapevine Lake dam
  • 2.85 - DFW Airport
  • 2.73 - Arlington
  • 2.57 - Lewisville Lake
  • 2.43 - Lake Joe Pool

The National Weather Service reporting station at DFW Airport recorded 2.11 inches of precipitation over a three-hour period Sunday morning. The 24-hour total of 2.85 inches was the biggest since January 2013.

Sunday was the second day of strong sudden storms in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. High winds downed utility poles and toppled trees on Saturday night.

At one point there were more than 30,000 power outages reported in North Texas as storms lingered into the morning hours.

The rain cooled temperatures down from near 100 Saturday to the mid 70s Sunday afternoon.

A few joggers on the Katy Trail took advantage of the break in the heat, even as a tweet was sent out warning them that some areas might be blocked by fallen tree limbs and lots of leaves.

Many flights were delayed and some were canceled at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and at Dallas Love Field.

Oncor reported more than 32,000 customers without electric service late Saturday afternoon, and scattered outages lingered into Sunday.

In Dallas, traffic on Greenville Avenue between Lovers Lane and Southwestern Boulevard was shut down after an electric line toppled on Saturday.

A busy Starbucks coffee shop at McKinney Avenue and Vine Street was plunged into darkness just before 4 p.m. Saturday when the lights went out. The background music was silenced, but customers went on quietly talking with one another or using their computers as a downpour erupted outside. The shop suffered some minor flooding as water seeped in through the back door.

In University Park, a mature tree fell down in the high wind. editor Walt Zwirko contributed to this report


Read or Share this story: