ARLINGTON Arlington police said Wednesday night they apprehended a suspect in Saturday's hit-and-run injury of 73-year-old Terry Pinkston.

In the late afternoon Wednesday, police notified U.S. Customs and Border Protection that Omar Bashir Mohammed was a suspect and flight risk. Mohammed was later captured at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport on a plane bound for Jordan.

'[It] appears as if he was going to flee the country,' said Lt. Christopher Cook, a spokesman with Arlington police.

Investigators said tips from the public helped detectives identify the man.

The Arlington jail website said Mohammed was booked at 11:14 p.m. He was charged with failure to stop and render aid. A bond was set but later revoked due to his alleged attempt to flee the country.

The news came hours after police said they had identified a 'person of interest' in the case and located the car believed used in the vehicular assault.

Court documents show police obtained a search warrant for a home in the 200 block of Slaughter Street based on an anonymous tip.

The lead, which came in Tuesday, said a blue Honda Civic had its windshield repaired at 1 p.m. Saturday and was being stored at the address.

When police went to investigate Tuesday night, according to the search warrant affidavit, an officer saw the blue vehicle and also spotted 'small glass shards both inside and outside of the car.'

'There was damage to the suspect vehicle on the right side of the front bumper, a dent on the right side of the hood of the vehicle, and visible undercarriage damage in the right front wheel well,' the affidavit states.

Police said the suspect's father lives where the car was located. The owner of the vehicle lives in an apartment complex on Green Oaks in North Arlington. Ascension Boulevard dead-ends into the complex's entrance and exit.

Pinkston was struck about 100 yards from the complex's exit. The affidavit says surveillance video from security cameras shows the blue Honda Civic leaving the complex at 7:34 a.m. Saturday. The crash was reported to police at 7:35 a.m.

Terry Pinkston was discharged from John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth on Wednesday with stitches, bandages, and bruises visible.

He's hurting, but healing.

'You can't do anything without it hurting,' he said, short of breath as he emerged from John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. 'Too many things wrong and broken and cracked, no way to get comfortable.'

Pinkston's family and his own strong will are helping him recover. The break in the case seemed to be helping, too.

'He's 73,' said his daughter, Shannon Pinkston. 'With all that he went through, I'm thrilled they're finding out who did it. That's going to make him heal faster than anything.'

When asked if he had anything to say to his assailant, Pinkston said he'd better not; he said he needed some time to calm down.

But his son, Dee, said the driver had a chance to do the right thing... and didn't.

'You missed that window now you suffer the consequences,' he said.

The elder Pinkston offered thanks to Bill Komar, the witness and Good Samaritan who came out of his apartment when he heard the crash and rushed to offer aid.

'He went above and beyond,' Pinkston said, choking back tears. 'I'm glad he was there.'

He said he plans to meet with Komar in the coming days.


Read or Share this story: