DALLAS A Dallas mother says an angel saved her family of five from a fire on Wednesday night.

Amy Almazan was trying to light her fireplace when she says it exploded in their living room.

Flames hit the carpet and spread instantly inside their apartment on Fair Oaks Avenue.

Her four children ran in different directions, and by the time she rounded them up, the only escape was the second floor balcony.

Almazan opened the door and screamed for help when a stranger came to their rescue.

'I heard his voice, and I seen his hands, and I said, 'Take my baby! And he took one each of my children, one-by-one,' she said.

Firefighters put out the fire before it spread to neighboring apartment units. The Red Cross was helping the Almazan family.

Read or Share this story: