VALLEY RANCH -- The Dallas Cowboys cut ties with defensive tackle Jay Ratliff Wednesday after he failed a physical.

The veteran, who was in the ninth season with the team, hadn't played in 2013 and was on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. He was eligible to come off the PUP list this week, but the Cowboys decided to cut ties with the four-time pro bowler Wednesday afternoon, according to the team's website.

Ratliff had sports hernia surgery in December 2012 and played in only six games last season.

The announcement came after team locker room interviews had ended, making players unavailable. Head coach Jason Garrett held his daily press conference earlier in the day, as well.

Tuesday on his radio show, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked about a network report that Ratliff was done in Dallas.

'When you say, 'done in Dallas,' I don't know about done in Dallas,' Jones said. 'From the standpoint of this year, we've got a situation that's not positive, as for him getting on the field. We're going to see as we go through this week what we're going to do, technically, that's his roster status.'

The defensive tackle was drafted in the seventh round of the 2005 NFL Draft out of Auburn. He had 228 career tackles with the Cowboys and 27 sacks, and went to four straight Pro Bowls from 2008 to 2011.

In 2011, Ratliff signed a five-year extension worth $48.6 million. According to writer Nick Eatman, the Cowboys will stop paying Ratliff's $1.34 million base salary this year, and the majority of his $10.27 million cap charge will go into next year's salary cap.

Before the season started, the ninth-year pro hinted that there was tension between him and the Dallas training staff after he did most of his rehabilitation work away from team headquarters.

He wasn't seen all season in the locker room when it was open to reporters.

Ratliff was arrested for suspicion of driving while intoxicated in January 2013.

He failed a field sobriety test, declined to submit to a Breathalyzer test, and investigators ultimately secured a warrant and took his blood, which police say showed he had a BAC of 0.16, twice the legal limit.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Read or Share this story: