DALLAS Van Dixson, the prime suspect in the serial rape of nine women south of Fair Park, was transported from Baton Rouge Thursday morning and formally booked into the Dallas County Jail.

U.S. Marshals arrested Dixson, 38, at a Baton Rouge motel on the afternoon of Sept. 10. He has been awaiting extradition from the East Baton Rouge Parish Jail since. He appeared before a Louisiana judge on Sept. 12 and signed paperwork indicating that he was the man wanted in at least four sexual assaults.

He left for Dallas at 9 a.m. Thursday and arrived around 1 p.m.

Dixson is the sole suspect in the rapes, which all occurred inside a three-mile radius of Fair Park. The first was reported on June 22. Another occurred on June 30 and the next was reported to have happened sometime during the last week in July. The rapes stopped until Aug. 20. Between then and Sept. 1, five women were raped.

Police went to the public on Sept. 3 and announced that a serial rapist was targeting women in Fair Park. A tip led them to Dixson's home the next day. He was questioned and submitted to a DNA sample. At that time, police did not have a legal reason to hold him.

The tip, said Police Chief David Brown, came from an employer who reported that Dixson had stopped showing up to work. After being questioned, Dixson dropped his children off with a family member, abandoned his vehicle at a Garland McDonald's and bought a one-way ticket to Baton Rouge.

Investigators said that was the furthest location he could afford to travel to. He was performing odd jobs around the motel where he was staying when he was arrested.

According to county appraisal records, Dixson owns a house at 4735 Baldwin St., located mere blocks away from the first reported rape in the 4600 block of Metropolitan Ave. He also has a violent criminal past.

In 1993, he was convicted of eight counts of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. He was released in 2004 after serving 11 years of a 12-year sentence, said Jason Clark, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

The year prior, he was accused of sexual assaulting a woman but the case was dropped when the victim was struck by lightning.

Dixson is being held at the Dallas County Jail without bond on four charges of aggravated sexual assault. Additional charges are pending.

Read or Share this story: