FORT WORTH -- Hours before Sida Osman went missing, the five-year-old was watching a group of kids from a church perform a skit from the Bible. It was skit about heaven.

The last thing that he heard was [a lesson] about heaven, said Johnje Jasper from the youth evangelism team from Grace Temple 7th Adventist Church. We hope that he took it to heart.

On Thursday, investigators confirmed that Osman was murdered. A 13-year-old boy was arrested by Fort Worth police in connection with the beating death of the boy. Osman was found dead of blunt force trauma Wednesday afternoon.

His mother, Dahabo Abdi, struggles to make sense of her son's murder.

I was broken in my heart, Abdi said. He's just a little kid. I don't know why he killed him.

According to police, the male teenager, who is not identified because of his age, became irritated with Osman and hit him multiple times in the head causing his death. Osman's body was left in the backyard of a vacant house in the 4800 block of Lois Street.

Neighbors told News 8 the teen suspect is known to cause trouble, from harassing children and adults to picking fights with them.

He was always, like, disrespecting [my mother] and calling her bad names, said Elizabeth Klyde, a 12-year-old resident of the complex. My mom did not think it was going to go to this level -- of killing a little boy.

Klyde is also a member Grace Temple's youth evangelism team. She and her church friends visit the complex every Tuesday and Thursday, hoping their words of faith and hope can drown the violence plaguing the neighborhood.

I can still feel Sida's spirit here, Klyde said. He's still here. He's listening.

Osman was reported missing at 10:25 p.m. Tuesday night. Family members told responding officers that he hadn't been seen since about 6:40 p.m. His body was found at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

No Amber Alert was issued, as the family and police didn't initially suspect the boy was in danger.

Police defended their response to the boy's search with a statement by Chief Jeff Halstead:

Thanks to the dedicated efforts of our Police Department with the assistance from members within our community, our residents can rest assured that the person responsible for this heinous crime is now in police custody. However, there is much healing that needs to take place within our community.

I am extremely proud of the men and women of our police department. All available resources were utilized in the search for missing Sida hoping for a successful outcome. When the homicide investigation began, our Detectives worked around the clock with the highest level of investigative diligence to find the person responsible and solve this unthinkable crime.

We ask that you keep Sida s family and relatives in your thoughts and prayers as they continue to grieve over this senseless act of violence.

Police wouldn't comment on the case on camera.

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price said in part from the limited information she had, Police did everything they could...but there is always room for review.

Read or Share this story: