FORT WORTH -- John St. Angelo's volatile surrender capped off what appears to have been a volatile year.

Suzanne Parsons was, according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner, stabbed and cut multiple times in her chest and neck. Her time of death was Monday at 4:38 p.m.

Just before 4:45 p.m. Tuesday her ex-husband, John St. Angelo, was arrested after a nearly-five-hour standoff with police. He was charged with murder Wednesday.

Parsons was a Realtor. She was killed inside her office at the RE/MAX office on Heritage Trace Parkway in North Fort Worth. Eric LaMay is a Realtor there, too.

'One of the favorite things she'd always say to me is 'Anything you need darlin.' I'm gonna miss that,' he said.

LaMay said he was unaware of any fear that Parsons might have felt, or if anyone had threatened her.

But in May, Parsons applied for an order of protection, claiming St. Angelo 'pulled her out of the shower' by her hair. She also graphically described a physical fight during a vacation in Cancun. She wrote that she'd been punched, and that St. Angelo stole her money and passport after a day of drinking. That incident ended with both of them in a jail in Mexico. In the application, she wrote she had been threatened.

It was unclear if the application was ever granted or if a hearing was ever held.

Parsons' family told News 8 her divorce from John St. Angelo had been final only a few days.

On Facebook Sunday, next to a picture of Parsons, St. Angelo wrote she was 'the biggest, most expensive mistake of his life.'

Parsons was killed Monday. On Tuesday, a tip led officers to a home in the 6800 block of Permian Lane. Police say St. Angelo knew the homeowner.

St. Angelo refused to come out. Police say he fired at SWAT officers multiple times.

'I'd like to say our SWAT officers did a fantastic job today,' said Fort Worth Police Corporal Tracey Knight, 'they were taking fire -- multiple rounds were fired at SWAT officers. They did not return fire.'

Officers threw in tear gas grenades and blew up the garage door to try to get inside.

Across the street, sisters Chrysta and Caresse Santana, 13 and 12 years old, respectively, were home alone. Their father and his girlfriend had left to run an errand when the standoff began. They used their cell phones to capture video of the SWAT team right outside their window.

Their dad was in constant communication with them, telling them to be aware of their surroundings and be safe.

'We figured, like, they were gonna take care of it and everything was gonna be OK,' said 13-year-old Chrysta, 'and if anything happened, they were just right outside.'

After hours of negotiating, firing at officers, and having officers fire tear gas back at him, St. Angelo eventually stumbled out.

'It was the best conclusion we could have hoped for. The suspect made it out safe, officers are out safe, and hopefully, we'll have a good conclusion for justice for the homicide,' Knight said.

St. Angelo went to the hospital with what police call wounds from self-inflicted gunshots. He survived. Every neighbor and police officer did, too.

But Parsons, a 49-year-old mother and grandmother, did not.

'She's going to be horribly horribly missed,' LaMay said. 'We will remember her. She deserves that.'


Read or Share this story: