GRAND PRAIRIE A Mansfield teen who led Grand Prairie police on a nearly 10-hour manhunt was pronounced dead after he was shot while walking into a neighborhood Wednesday afternoon, police said.

The incident began when a Grand Prairie police officer attempted to pull over a 16-year-old male at about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 3100 block of North Camino Lagos, police said. According to authorities, the teen led police on a short vehicle pursuit. When the chase ended, the teen exited the car.

'The suspect and only occupant jumped out of the vehicle and fired at the officer,' said Grand Prairie Police Chief Steve Dye. 'The officer returned fire.'

While the officer was not injured, Dye said it appeared the suspect was struck. The teen fled the scene on foot.

Officers from Arlington, Midlothian and Mansfield joined Grand Prairie police to search for the suspect throughout the morning and early afternoon.

At about 2:10 p.m., Grand Prairie police located the suspect in the 600 block of East Seeton Road based on a tip from a neighbor who spotted the teen. The location was less than 1.5 miles from the spot where officers first attempted the traffic stop.

'He was getting ready to walk into a neighborhood, where we were afraid he would do more harm,' Dye said of what officers found upon their arrival. 'So, unfortunately, one of our officers had to shoot him one time.'

Two officers were struck when the suspect returned fire. The officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to Dallas Methodist.

'One officer is a 16-year veteran and the second officer is a seven-year veteran of GPPD,' read a statement from Mark Beseda, a spokesman with the Grand Prairie Police Department. 'The names of the officers are being withheld at this time. The officers are in good spirits and resting at home with family members.'

The suspect was apprehended and transported by air ambulance to Parkland Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Due to his age, the teen's identity was not released.

During the search for the teen, authorities temporarily shut down the Lake Ridge Parkway bridge near Joe Pool Lake.

'I'm trying to get to my dad's house for Christmas,' said Amber Gaddis, who expressed concern over the search.

'I turned on the alarms and all the stuff at my house and tried to make it look like some people were home so maybe they wouldn't go in,' she said.

WFAA's Sebastian Robertson contributed to this report

Read or Share this story: