NORTH RICHLAND HILLS An eight-year-old girl was burned Saturday afternoon in what was described as a small explosion at a residence in North Richland Hills.

The incident happened just after 4 o'clock at a one-story home in the 7900 block of Harwood Road. The blast appeared to have occurred in the interior of the building, as there was very little damage evident from the outside.

The girl, identified by family members as Maya Javier, was in the home with her uncle and five other people. The family tells News 8 the explosion happened when Maya turned on a light switch.

'It knocked me on the floor,' said uncle Marvin Reinosheck. 'I was in a chair sitting pretty close to the wall. I heard a lot of glass shattering. It just blew out all the windows; I had to go get the bathroom door off my niece and pull her out and get her outside. We climbed over some debris; the hallway is gone.'

Maya was taken by CareFlite to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. She was hospitalized for treatment of burns over 40 percent of her body.

Another person inside the home was also taken to the hospital, but Asst. Fire Chief Kirk Marcum told News 8 that person did not have any injuries.

Atmos Energy was called to the scene to investigate the possibility of a natural gas leak.

'They're in the process of checking to see if that's where it's coming from... if it's gas,' Marcum said.

Atmos Energy provided a written statement:

Atmos Energy and the North Richland Hills Fire Department worked quickly to evacuate two additional homes where the incident occurred. Atmos Energy as well as the American Red Cross are offering supplies and housing assistance to the families affected by these evacuations.


Read or Share this story: