DALLAS Firefighters gathered and saluted in a somber moment as an ambulance left the scene with the body of a Dallas Fire-Rescue firefighter, who disappeared after radioing that he was trapped during a six-alarm blaze at a northeast Dallas condominium building.

At 11 a.m. Monday, Dallas Fire-Rescue Chief Louie Bright, III confirmed that 28-year veteran Stanley Wilson was found dead inside the rubble of the fire hours after a radio message was heard from the firefighter saying, "I'm trapped."

"A longtime member with the department," Bright said. "A hard worker, certainly a hero with us for all of his efforts today."

The fire chief said Wilson is survived by his wife, two sons and his mother.

"He's a hero,"said Mayor Mike Rawlings, who joined Bright during the conference. "And as I told his boys, they should be very proud."

The fire at the complex, located in the 2300 block of Abrams Road just north of LBJ Freeway, burned so intensely that firefighters had to call for six alarms, bringing additional manpower to the scene. A portion of the three-story building collapsed and the blaze destroyed at least 24 condos.

During their rescue attempt, about 150 firefighters worked together to clear debris as they searched for the firefighter who called for help at about 5:30 a.m.

At about 8:30 a.m., a gurney set up for the missing firefighter was moved and firefighters formed a line around the burnt out building.

"We lost one of ours," Rawlings said. "Our hearts are broken for the family, for the city, for the department."

The mayor said Bright was a 1980 graduate of Lake Highlands High School.

"Just a few miles away, he laid down his life for other citizens," Rawlings said.

Two Dallas firefighters, both with leg injuries, were taken to a hospital and a resident was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

It appeared that no tenants were missing or seriously injured in the fire that was first reported at 3 a.m. The American Red Cross was at the scene to assist residents with emergency needs.

Firefighters were paying close attention to embers from the blaze that could threaten other nearby homes and apartments.

"They're fighting the wind today, and it's making it worse for them to try and get it out," said a neighborhood woman who identified herself as Selina. "The flames are just incredible, and my heart goes out to everyone involved."

Streets surrounding the fire scene were closed to traffic to clear the way for emergency vehicles.

According to tax records, the 394,000 square foot condominium building was built in 1980.


Read or Share this story: