FORT WORTH TCU defensive end Devonte Fields is under investigation by police after his ex-girlfriend accused him of pointing a gun at her, threatening' I should blast you!' then punching her in the head at a Fort Worth home just before 4 a.m. Sunday morning.

Fields had allegedly left the scene before officers' arrival, according to a Fort Worth police report.

TCU announced Tuesday afternoon Fields is 'separated from the university' pending the results of an investigation into the allegations. Athletic department spokesman Mark Cohen said the 'university discipline process will be implemented' which may result in discipline from the university beyond any legal consequences Fields may face.

'Devonte Fields has been listed as a suspect on a domestic disturbance in Fort Worth,' confirmed Sgt. Raymond Bush, a police spokesman. 'He has not been arrested.'

Fields, who only played three games last year because of injury, has been selected as the preseason defensive MVP of the Big 12. He is also on the watch list for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which is presented annually to the nation's top defensive player, and the Walter Camp Award, presented to the nation's best overall player.

According to the police report from the incident, Fields' ex-girlfriend said he came over to a mutual friend's house in the 2700 block of Lubbock Ave. and was standing outside the bedroom window listening to her talk to the male friend.

She said Fields then punched out the window and began yelling at her. The 20-year-old woman told police she thought Fields was holding a gun and pointed it at her, yelling 'I should blast you!' A roommate then let Fields into the home, according to the report, where he continued to yell at the woman, then punched her once in the face.

Upon arrival, officers said they noticed the woman's right cheek was swollen, and she had a small cut underneath her eye. Fields had left the location by the time police arrived.

The ex-girlfriend told police she didn't want to be taken to the hospital and didn't want to press charges, but police informed her she had to file a report and fill out a family violence packet. She told police she and Fields had broken up in early June after dating for two years.

Click here for more details on the incident from our content partners at the Star-Telegram.

Read or Share this story: