FORT WORTH Terry Pinkston remembers going for a walk in his North Arlington neighborhood Saturday morning. But he doesn't remember much more.

The 73-year-old was hit from behind by a vehicle and flung several feet. The driver left the scene.

Shannon Pinkston stood by her father's side at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth Monday night, listing his injuries.

'We have a big gap up here with 20 stitches in it,' she said, pointing to her father's bandaged head. 'He was basically scalped.'

'Broken ribs on both sides, broken vertebrae, busted sacrum and a busted pelvis in several places,' she added. 'Oh yeah... and a big puncture wound on his calf.'

Her father grimaced each time he moved. Laughing is painful, but he still found a way to chuckle.

'I'll just plow ahead and do what I've got to do!' he said.

Terry Pinkston went for a walk in his North Arlington neighborhood on Saturday morning. Around 7:30, he was on Ascension Boulevard, between Brown Boulevard and Green Oaks, just across the street from a Kroger supermarket.

A car slammed into him from behind.

'And the lights went out,' he said. 'I don't know anything after that.'

But what Pinkston can't remember, Bill Komar likely won't forget.

He was inside his apartment, and the balcony faces Ascension Boulevard. He normally goes to work on Saturday mornings, but decided to take this day off.

Komar normally watches TV early in the morning with headphones on so he doesn't disturb his girlfriend. For some reason, on this Saturday, he didn't. And he just happened to have his balcony door open.

All of those circumstances meant he could hear the crash just outside his apartment.

'I came out of my balcony up there and I saw a dark blue Chevy Cavalier late 1990s, early 2000s backing up right over here and took off,' he said, pointing to a grassy area where the car had come to a stop.

Komar turned to go back inside when he noticed a motionless man on the ground a few feet from the car, right up against a fence.

'From up there I could see a pool of blood,' he said.

'I called 911, my girlfriend, and I ran down here and jumped the fence,' he said. 'And when I got here he was motionless. I could see a huge head wound, bleeding profusely.'

Komar saw Pinkston's cap on the ground, so he grabbed it cleaned it, and applied pressure to the wound.

'I held his hand and told him, 'You're gonna be all right. They're coming. Help is on the way.''

Within minutes, Arlington police officers and firefighters were there to help.

Pinkston is recovering at John Peter Smith Hospital.

'I think he's lucky... I think he's really lucky; he's got some trouble left to cause,' Shannon Pinkston said with a giggle.

Her father started to laugh, but stifled it because of the pain.

She said she'd like insurance agents and body shops to pay particular attention to Komar's description of the vehicle. She knows there's front end damage, so she assumes the driver might try to get it fixed.

'How can someone hit another person and leave him for dead?' Komar asked. 'I don't understand how something like that can happen.'

Terry Pinkston doesn't, either.

'It'd be nice if they would just step forward and own up to it, but I don't think they're going to do that. So, we're going to find you, hopefully,' he said, adding: 'I got a lot of people looking.'

Anyone with information should call Arlington police.


Read or Share this story: