ARLINGTON Police in Arlington have arrested a man accused in the brutal beating death of his girlfriend's 19-month-old child last week.

Joshua Beard, 20, faces a capital murder charge. He was already jailed on an unrelated charge, but then new information emerged on Sunday linking him to the homicide.

According to police documents, Beard allegedly beat Tylea Moore 'by hitting her with his closed fists, open hands and stomping on her with his feet' at a residence in the 2200 block of Polo Club Court.

The child's mother, 17-year-old Alexis Botello, reported Tylea was missing on Sunday, but investigators quickly surmised that her story was not adding up.

'The story began to unravel, and we began to think the child's welfare was definitely in jeopardy,' said Arlington police Lt. Chris Cook.

Botello soon admitted she was present when Tylea was being beaten, according to the search warrant. She told police that Beard also hit her.

The child had been beaten so badly that she did not wake up.

Beard and Botello put Tylea's body in the trunk of her car; they then drove away, stopping at a Wal-Mart in Weatherford to buy gloves and two shovels, she told police.

Botello showed officers where Tylea had been buried, under a bridge near Springtown in rural Parker County. Police recovered shovels that had been hidden in trees along the side of the road.

The news came as a shock to members of Botello's family.

'How could a mother... my daughter... see that somebody is hurting your baby and not come at them like a lioness and rip them a new one?' asked Ricardo Botello, the victim's grandfather.

Ricardo said he and his daughter hadn't talked much lately, and that he had serious concerns about her relationship with Beard. He said the family is devastated.

'It's so horrible my baby [Tylea] is gone,' Ricardo told News 8 in a phone interview.

All indications are the child's body found on Monday afternoon is Tylea's, although the Tarrant County Medical Examiner has yet to release an official finding.

Alexis Botello has not yet been charged in connection with the crime.


Read or Share this story: