ARLINGTON The suspect in a shooting that left one dead and spurred a standoff at an apartment complex has surrendered, said Arlington police.

The seven-hour standoff began when authorities were first alerted to multiple shots fired at about 6 a.m. Monday at the Silverwood Apartments, located in the 1100 block of Silverwood Dr.

Upon arriving at the scene, officers spotted a victim on the ground outside an apartment building. However, gunfire from the suspect barricaded inside an apartment hindered their efforts to remove the victim from the scene for hours, said Lt. Christopher Cook, a spokesman with the Arlington Police Department.

Just before 11 a.m., officers were able to get to the victim, a man in his 30s who was pronounced dead, according to Cook.

At about 1:35 p.m., the suspect, Joel Jonas White, surrendered. White, 32, has been charged with murder and is being held on $250,000 bond.

'He actually came out of his location after several hours of negotiation with his hands up and was taken into custody without incident,' Cooke said.

Cook said the motive for the shooting is not known.

'Right now, this is a very serious situation,' he said before the surrender. 'We believe the suspect has access to multiple weapons. Obviously, he's clearly a danger to the community.'

Authorities said more more than a dozen shots were fired.

Alice Arthur said she was stuck inside her apartment during the standoff and at least one bullet entered her home.

'It came through the living room window through the dining room wall into my bedroom in through the door,' she said.

Police set up a perimeter around the complex and used a drone to capture video from the scene.

'Since shots were fired earlier this morning, we want to make sure officers are protected and that their safe,' Cook said. 'So, deploying our unmanned helicopter, we're able to get eyes ... right into the scene area.'

The Arlington Police Department was the first in North Texas to set up a drone program, which was approved by the Federal Aviation Administration in March.

While about 25 residents were evacuated from the complex, others were 'sheltered in place,' Cook said.

Jeff Bidwell, a resident at the complex, said his wife and grandson were able to crawl out a window of an apartment to escape to safety.

'[It was] scary enough for me out here,' Bidwell said of the fear his family must have felt as the shots were fired.

Grand Prairie SWAT team assisted the Arlington Police Department.

WFAA's Olivia Dangler contributed to this report

Read or Share this story: