GRAND PRAIRIE There were two different crime scenes and one horrific ending Sunday for a divorced mother of two with a history of reported harassment from her ex-husband.

Grand Prairie police Detective Mark Beseda said 39-year-old Dashun Atkins drove to the Hill Top Lane home of ex-spouse Jenea James shortly after 2 a.m. and fatally shot her in her neighbor's yard.

Atkins then allegedly shot and killed James' 41-year-old boyfriend James Doyle inside the residence.

The gunman left the scene and committed suicide in his apartment garage, police said.

"This is our eighth and ninth homicide in Grand Prairie," Beseda said. "Most of these have been related to domestic violence."

Neighbor Karen Sims knew the former couple, who had two young children aged three and five.

"I don't see the point in making your children orphans over a relationship with the other person," she said.

Grand Prairie police documented four separate emergency calls within a 24-hour period, indicating a pattern of harassment at the James residence.

Jenea James made her first non-emergency call to Grand Prairie police at 9 a.m. Saturday, reporting harassing phone calls from her ex-spouse. Police said she declined to press charges at that time.

James placed a second call to police Saturday night at 11 o'clock, again alleging harassing phone calls. She said her ex was also driving around near her home.

Officers were dispatched, but James declined to press charges.

A third call, after midnight Saturday, was placed to 911 from Louisiana; this time it was Atkins' family concerned about his welfare, stating he had been arguing with his ex-wife.

Police were dispatched to his apartment in the 2700 block of West Bardin Road. Officers were told by Atkins and a female friend that "he was fine."

Grand Prairie police said they had no legal authority to arrest Atkins until the fourth call, just after 2:15 Sunday morning, when officers found Atkins' ex-wife and her boyfriend had been fatally shot. Her two children were not physically injured.

Police searched and found Atkins hours later, deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot, inside his garage.

Neighbor Ben Serrano was shocked.

"It just makes us all be aware of the situation and be conscious of what's going on," he said.

Grand Prairie police emphasized that Jenea James twice declined to press charges in the hours leading up to her murder, indicating she wanted to file for a protection order that could not be processed until Monday morning.

Police said the couple's two young children were placed with the mother's surviving family.


Read or Share this story: