MESQUITE A Mesquite man was shot early Monday morning in what was thought to be a road rage incident near Town East Mall.

But hours later, the admitted shooter and the man who was hit were telling two very different stories.

Leonard Young, 23, is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after firing his gun 15 times on LBJ Freeway about 1 a.m. Monday.

That he emptied his weapon, and that he shot a 29-year-old father are the only things which are clear about what happened. Much of what led up to the shooting remains a mystery.

"I saw him exit the vehicle with the gun in his hand, then I heard the 'Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow!' from the back," said Marcus, the man who was shot. He asked that his last name not he revealed.

Marcus is hospitalized, but is going to be OK.

"I was watching the windows shatter," he said. "Then the last one stung for a minute."

Marcus had been struck in the back of his head.

Young, an Army reservist and a security guard at Town East Mall, was the man who fired at Marcus 15 times. He said he thought he only fired a couple of times.

"Once it started clicking, I was still pulling the trigger. Once it stopped clicking, I noticed my weapon was completely empty," Young told News 8, saying his adrenaline was pumping because he feared for his life.

Young said he had been followed for miles, from Interstate 30 to LBJ Freeway, down an exit ramp and then back on LBJ.

"As I slowed down, he slowed down; as I sped up to try to get away, he sped up; there was no getting away from this guy," Young said.

Marcus said he was tailing the other vehicle because Young was swerving. He thought he was behind a drunk driver, but Mesquite police later said they found no evidence of intoxication.

The two men exchanged words; then both eventually stopped on LBJ, near Town East Boulevard.

"I felt like he was trying to hurt me," Young said. "I fired my weapon a couple times, to my knowledge."

He maintains he feared for his life. And he says his adrenaline was pumping because he has been shot once before.

Young called 911 to report the shooting; a dispatcher told him to drive to the Mesquite Police Department.

He complied with every request, was questioned, and then charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Marcus must undergo surgery. A bullet remains lodged in his head, and there's a question in his mind for the man who had a gun: "What was your thought process when you decided to get out and spray 15 bullets across the highway?"

Marcus was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher when the shooting happened.


Read or Share this story: