SAN BENITO, Texas (AP) Authorities in South Texas say a 7-year-old girl who collapsed at her elementary school choked to death on a balloon.
San Benito police say preliminary autopsy results show Ruby Ramirez died of asphyxiation.
Detective Rogelio Banda told Harlingen's Valley Morning Star (http://bit.ly/VxVJEK ) that San Benito police are trying to find out where she got the balloon.
The child's mother was at the school to pick her up Monday afternoon and saw her playing with other children. The Rev. Jay De La Cruz, who's a spokesman for the family, says Ruby's mother turned away for a moment to talk to a friend, but didn't see Ruby when she turned back around. Then she saw Ruby on the ground.