Diabetic Death

DALLAS - Almost a year has passed since Chasity Butler, 9, died from diabetes.

Dallas police now suspect her death wasn't natural, and have now charged her mother with a crime.

"The mother did not provide the necessary care to her daughter that ultimately led to her death," said police spokesman Lt. Andrew Harvey.

Georgia Jones, 26, faces one charge of Injury to a Child in connection with Chasity's death.

The nine-year-old, Jones' oldest child, died from her diabetic condition in May 2008 at the family's South Oak Cliff home.

After months of reviewing medical records and learning more about the disease, police investigators said they now believe Jones failed to provide proper care for her third-grade daughter.

Records obtained by The Dallas Morning News show Jones skipped diabetes training in August 2005. Plus, doctors complained that Chasity's blood sugar levels "were consistently dangerously high," according to an official report.

What's more, police allege that the night before Chasity's death, Jones let her enjoy cupcakes and candy from a younger sister's birthday party. It was a deadly dose of sugar, sending the diabetic's blood glucose level more five times higher than normal, police said.

"She was just a weak little girl," said Pamela Jones, the suspect's mother and victim's grandmother. "It had [taken] all the childlife from her, because she didn't come out and play because she was so weak."

The suspect's family disputes allegations that the mother did anything wrong. Georgia Jones provided the best she could for her four daughters, said her husband, Marqus Butler.

"She's a good mother," Butler continued. "She's a very caring person; compassionate. She loves her children - all of them."

But the Child Protective Services agency revealed a half-dozen investigations into the family. The first, in April 2001, came after Chasity and a sister were left unattended. A second, similar allegation came in May 2002.

Investigators ruled out reports of medical neglect between Jones and Chasity in August 2006 and October 2007.

But last April, CPS learned Jones had no food at home. An investigator responded within 24 hours, CPS said, and found the children appeared good at the time. Chasity was described as "upbeat" in one report written just four days before her death.

Doctors say the girl's disease should have been manageable. Police charged her mother for not providing better care.

Butler bailed Georgia Jones out of the Dallas County Jail late Tuesday night.


Read or Share this story: