Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared this recipe on News 8 Daybreak, Saturday December 31.
Crock Pot Black-Eyed Peas
- 3 cups of dry black-eyed peas or 2 containers Melissa s pre-soaked brand (symbolizes luck in the New Year)
- 5 strips bacon (symbolized progress)
- 4 stalks celery - chopped
- 1/2 cup onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 jalapeno - chopped
- 1 beer
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 - 3 cups water
- If you are using dried black-eyed peas, soak them in water, making sure the water covers the peas completely for at least 3 hours (but preferably overnight). If you are using Melissa s brand in the refrigerated section, there is no need to soak them first.
- In a skillet, pan-fry bacon and remove to plate.
- In remaining bacon grease, saute celery, onion and garlic.
- Pour black-eyed peas into crock pot or slow cooker, add sauteed vegetables, chopped jalapeno, crumbled bacon, beer, chicken broth and water. Make sure water covers the top of the peas.
- Set Crock Pot on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with sauerkraut or collard greens (symbolizing wealth), kielbasa (representing progress) and corn bread (representing happiness)