- Texas's runs in the fifth broke a 14-inning scoreless streak against the Rangers for Sonny Gray. He threw a complete game shutout in his last outing against Texas on April 28, the second of back-to-back starts against the Rangers. He took the loss after throwing seven innings and allowing three runs on April 23.
- Sonny Gray has now thrown at least seven innings in each of his three starts against Texas this season. He has allowed five runs in 23 innings (1.95 ERA) and has 21 strikeouts against the Rangers.
- Rangers' starter Nick Tepesch threw 99 pitches in five innings Wednesday. That came one start after needing just 73 pitches to get through 6.1 shutout innings against Seattle.
- The middle of the Athletics' order (Cespedes-Moss-Donaldson) has 155 of Oakland's league-leading 352 RBI this season (44 percent). The middle of Wednesday's Rangers lineup (Choo-Beltre-Rios) have accounted for 94 of the team's 289 RBI in 2014 (32.5 percent).
- Shin-Soo Choo recorded the only RBI for Texas on Wednesday. Going into the game, he was batting a meager .178 since May 16. Choo hit third in the order for the 11th straight game and the 17th time this year. Since May 16, Choo has even seen a game in the no. 9 spot in the order.
- Brad Snyder struck out with two men in scoring position in the fourth inning. Snyder is now 0-for-5 in his last two games since going 2-for-3 with a home run Sunday in Seattle. Donnie Murphy pinch-hit for Snyder in the top of the ninth inning Wednesday.
- Scott Baker has now thrown shutout baseball in three of his four outings in June. Baker allowed nine runs in five relief in a 17-7 loss on June 9. He pitched three scoreless frames Wednesday.
Rangers postgame notes: OAK 4, TEX 2
Read or Share this story: http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/2014/08/21/14228094/