IRVING Billie Huffman said it was too close of a call when her 13-year-old goddaughter overdosed on synthetic marijuana, or K2, on Saturday night.
'If we hadn't come home when we did, we might have a dead child,' she told News 8 on Sunday.
The family first noticed something was wrong with the 13-year-old when they returned home from dinner, and found her outside a unit the Rolling Hills apartment complex in Irving.
Huffman said the girl was unable to speak and was shaking. Huffman called 911 and Irving police and paramedics rushed to help.
'The paramedic said it was one of the worst overdoses on K2 he ever saw,' Huffman said.
The girl was released from the hospital on Sunday afternoon and is recovering with her family.
The incident happened just three days after federal Drug Enforcement Agency agents said they took down a major K2 drug ring operating throughout North Texas.
In federal forfeiture documents obtained by News 8, federal authorities allege that millions of dollars of K2 was illegally pushed through a string of Gas Pipe stores in the area.
The operators of the head shops haven't been charged with a crime.
But after seeing the stories, Huffman said she suspected it was K2 that her goddaughter had experimented with on Saturday.
'I knew... I just knew it,' she said.
Irving police continue to investigate. There is no indication the K2 used by the girl was purchased at a Gas Pipe store.
Police said no charges have been filed in relation to the girl's overdose, but that someone was arrested at the scene for an unrelated matter.