Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Hatch Chile Bake on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, August 24.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup roasted, chopped Hatch chiles (about 2 - 3) or a small can of regular chopped chiles
- 1 cup white rice, dry
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 11/2 - 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Lightly coat chiles with olive oil and roast in oven at 400 degrees (on a foil lined baking sheet) for 20-25 minutes or until the skins are blackened and blistered. To remove the skins, run the peppers under cool water while peeling. The skin should come right off. Cut off ends, open down the center, remove membranes and seeds, then chop.
- Cook rice as directed on package.
- In a large skillet, brown beef with onion and garlic until done.
- Mix cooked rice with soup and spread into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Add beef mixture, layering over rice.
- Add chopped Hatch chiles as third layer.
- Top with cheddar cheese as final layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!