FORT WORTH -- It didn't take much time for fire fighters to douse the flames on West Bolt Street Thursday night. But it took even less for a Mom And her young son to be overcome.

Karla Salazar and her little boy, believed to be six, were in the back of the house. According to the medical examiner, she died of smoke inhalation. No cause of death or official ID has been released on her son.

Firefighters were called to the home at 905 W. Bolt Street at 6:57 p.m. Responders noticed heavy smoke and flames coming from the home upon their arrival.

Flavio Saldivar escaped out the front, burned, and helpless to save his family. He was listed in critical condition Friday.

Freddy Perez watched from across the street Thursday as fire fighters tried to revive Karla Salazar.

'They kept pumping and pumping and pumping,' he said Friday, shaking his head to show his sadness.

It was fire fighters from Station 10 who battled the blaze and tried to save lives. Friday morning, the next shift from the same station fought another fire that could easily been fatal.

Tobias Brown was asleep in his home on Travis Avenue.

'I just woke up out of a dream and I could hear a beeping noise. So I go to the living room and the whole front of the house is on fire,' he said. 'Fireball and black smoke.'

He scrambled to get his two dogs and escape out the back. The beeping noise he heard was his smoke alarm.

'Smoke detectors do save lives. I'm a witness to that,' he said, shivering on the lawn, looking at his charred house.

'Doesn't take long at all,' said Battalion Chief Donald Clark. 'Smoke inhalation -- he would never have woken up.'

Investigators believe Thursday's fatal fire on West Bolt Street started with an electrical problem. They found no evidence of smoke alarms in the home.


Read or Share this story: