DALLAS There's no denying that Dallas police Chief David Brown is close to the father of a troubled Dallas police recruit.

'He saved my life more than couple of times,' Brown said. 'He's one of my heroes.'

The chief mentioned Senior Cpl. Greg Lowe and his son, Matthew Lowe, while speaking in May to police recruits. News 8 obtained the video in an open records request.

Now there are questions about Matthew Lowe's hiring and the department's initial failure to investigate sexual harassment allegations.

Amid calls for an independent investigation, the city manager ordered the Dallas Fire-Rescue internal affairs division to investigate the sexual harassment allegations. That investigation is expected to be completed soon.

It is unclear what, if any, misconduct has been uncovered.

News 8 has obtained records showing that Matthew Lowe twice failed psychological exams once with the Dallas Police Department and a second time with the Dallas County Sheriff's Department.

Public integrity investigators have in recent days launched an investigation into allegations of irregularities in Lowe's hiring process.

'The integrity of the hiring process and the integrity of the administration of the police department is at stake when questions arise as to whether someone was properly hired or not,' said Bob Gorsky, a Dallas Police Association attorney representing the female recruit who filed the sexual harassment complaint.

Brown declined an interview request, citing the ongoing investigations. He told recruits in May that he wouldn't show favoritism to his good friend's son.

'He's got to pass on his own or fail on his own,' the chief said at the time.

He mentioned the Lowes in the context of denying rumors that Matthew Lowe was his godson.

It's been long known within the Dallas Police Department that Brown and Lowe's father go way back. They served in SWAT together for much of the 1990s. Brown recently described how Greg Lowe once pulled him out of the line of fire.

'Otherwise, I would have gotten shot and I wouldn't be here today,' the chief said when he spoke to the recruits in May. 'I can tell you a lot of stories about Greg Lowe saving my life.'

A 2010 investigation mentioned that Greg Lowe was 'close friends with Chief Brown,' and that he had spent several days at the chief's house consoling the family and helping out after the death of the chief's son.

But Greg Lowe's son had a tough time getting into law enforcement.

Matthew Lowe applied to DPD in January 2012. Department records say he passed a polygraph exam and background investigation.

Gorsky said he was told by someone directly involved in the background investigation process that Lowe had been rejected for hire. He said he was told the background detective was ordered to reassess it, and that a senior commander changed his recommendation from 'rejection' to 'acceptance.'

Gorsky was notified in a letter this month that that issue would be investigated by public integrity investigators.

Once Lowe passed the background investigation, he would have then been cleared to take the psychological exam. Records show he failed the exam in August 2012. He didn't get hired.

In March 2013, Matthew Lowe applied with the Dallas County Sheriff's Department. Again, he failed the psychological exam and did not get hired, records show.

Dallas requires applicants to wait for a year after failing the department's psychological exam, but there's a loophole: The rule doesn't apply to failing the psychological exam with other agencies.

So a few months later, in November 2013, Matthew Lowe was hired onto the Dallas police force. This time, he had passed the psychological exam.

Tom Popken, a retired Dallas police background investigator, says failing one psychological exam much less two in a short time period is a 'huge red flag.'

'I would say it would be very rare that somebody would get hired after that,' Popken said.

Popken, who retired shortly before Lowe's hiring, said the circumstances surrounding both of Lowe's applications were controversial. It appeared that some higher-ups wanted him hired, he said.

'There were people in the office that were doing backgrounds and actually working the paperwork and the process they didn't want him hired,' Popken said.

For Matthew Lowe, trouble started not long after began Recruit Class 336.

Fellow academy classmate Rebecca Knutson came forward in mid-March to allege that he had been sexually harassing her. She said she told commanders that he made inappropriate comments and sent inappropriate text messages, including one picture containing his naked buttocks.

She said she told him to stop.

'This did not stop the harassment,' she later wrote. 'He also continued to talk about and touch his genitals in front of me.'

Knutson put her complaint in writing and provided the text messages and pictures.

Several days after the complaint, she said she was summoned to the office of Maj. Melissa McGee, who asked if she could handle staying in the class.

'I told Major McGee that I did not do anything wrong, that I worked too hard to get to this point, and that I was not going to be recycled,' Knutson wrote.

But Knutson's complaint of sexual harassment never made its way to the deportment's internal affairs division, even though rules mandate that any allegation of sexual harassment be forwarded there.

On May 19, Knutson went public and filed a sexual harassment complaint with the city's human resources department. She alleged that after she complained to academy supervisors, Lowe continued to stare at her, physically block her path, and mumble profanity about her under his breath. Knutson described herself as being very fearful of him.

Her attorneys also demanded an independent investigation.

In public statements, Brown consistently defended the decision of academy commanders not to send Knutson's initial complaint to internal affairs, saying they had determined the conduct had occurred while off-duty and not on city premises.

'The academy staff deemed the reported behavior to be inappropriate' and counseled the recruits, the chief said in a May 22 statement.

About two weeks later, the city manager ordered Dallas Fire-Rescue internal affairs to conduct an investigation of Knutson's sexual harassment complaint.

'The department failed to even investigate it until they were forced by the city manager,' said Gorsky said. 'That's the problem.'

Class 336 graduated last week.

Neither Knutson nor Lowe graduated with the class. Both suffered injuries and are expected to complete a future class.


Read or Share this story: