DALLAS Dallas police Officer Joshua Burns, who was wounded in a Saturday shootout, continues his recovery at Baylor University Medical Center.

Rakeem Perkins, the man who investigators say wounded Burns, is in jail, held on $2 million bond while those who knew him wonder what led him down a dark path.

Officer Burns has been in Baylor's intensive care unit since the shooting in the parking lot of a Northeast Dallas apartment complex around noon Saturday.

His brothers in blue have been there for him throughout the ordeal first racing to his aid after the shooting, then escorting his family in to see him at the hospital and visiting him on Sunday.

There were so many well-wishers that Dallas Fraternal Order of Police president Richard Todd said they eventually had to turn some officers away.

'Officers keep pouring in and want to see him, and that's great... we appreciate their support, but he really needs to get some rest,' Todd said.

Burns was shot in the leg, chest, and shoulder. His bulletproof vest likely saved his life after he was involved in a shootout with a man police identified as Perkins at the apartments at 13030 Audelia Road.

Bullets riddled the suspect's car, shattering windows.

Todd said Burns is talking, but is still in a great deal of pain and has a long recovery ahead of him.

'It's very nerve-wracking,' Todd said. 'It's one of my brothers in blue, and any time one of us gets put in that situation, your heart stops and you get a lump in your throat and don't know what to expect next.'

He said it's still too early to know how long Officer Burns will have to spend in the hospital.

Rakeem Perkins recently talked about wanting to turn his life around. The people who knew him best just wish he had acted sooner.

'His life is probably ruined now,' said neighbor Odell Cooper.

Friends said Perkins may have snapped in the midst of a domestic dispute. He was also wounded in the leg during the shootout with police. He surrendered at police headquarters hours later with his mother by his side.

WFAA reporter Shon Gables in Dallas contributed to this report.


Read or Share this story: